DOHC 2nd gen???

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

DOHC 2nd gen???

Post by LH95sohc »

How difficult would it be to bolt a DOHC head on my current Sohc block. Ive seen it done before but I want to know how much is involved and what will I Have to do. Im just thinkin about going DOHC in my second gen bc you dont see too many plus I think it would make it easier for my turbo set up since the SRT mani and turbo bolts up to 2.0 DOHC. Suggestions?
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

I have actually never heard of this being done. You might run into air/fuel ratio problems, not sure what you would have to adapt for the cam position sensor, I doubt you could run a timing belt cover, and I'm not sure what intake manifold will bolt up to it. Might want to consider a SRT-4 head and intake manifold, could make it slightly easier. You asked about this on .org or 2gn? I'm sure there's people there with a better idea of what it would entail than myself.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Grindpunk tried to do it and he had almost all the parts but gave up. From what I understand you have to have a lot of parts from the Mexican 1.6L neons to get it to work correctly. It can be done but it's not something you can just throw on and tada.. DOHC. Also from what I hear the SRT intake mani does not bolt to the 2.0L DOHC head. The Turbo/Exhaust mani does but not the intake. Also, comparing the 2.0L DOHC to the 2.4L SRT DOHC head, the 2.0L head is much better.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Is the 2.0 head better than the SRT? I wonder why Dunny switched over to the SRT head and intake on his 1st gen.

Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Thats what I've been told, I was told that switching to the SRT head you're actually taking two steps back as the 2.0 head is a better design. But this was also told for when doing a 2.4 swap on a 1st gen but you'd think the same rules might apply for a DOHC head swap :-? Ed Peters is the one that recommeded keeping the 2.0 head instead of the SRT or PT and highly emphasised that the 2.0 head is better.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Maybe dunny chose to use it as all the manifold ports would match up, and/or the intake manifold is a better design. *shrugs*